Before your spray tan appointment
- It's a good idea to start moisturising your skin 2-3 days before you appointment. Especially pay attention to elbows, knees and ankles. This can help prepare your body into a hydrated canvas for your spray tan.
- Any hair removal or shaving is best done 24 hours before your appointment.
- Exfoliate the night before your appointment, and shower just before you appointment.
- DO NOT USE ANY SOAPS, BODY WASH OR EXFOLIATING SCRUBS WITH AN 'OIL BASE' JUST BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT. Although you will feel clean and hydrated, the oil will cause a film over your skin, and stop the tanning solution from developing correctly.
- After your shower, don't apply any perfumes, deodorant, moisturiser or makeup.
- Wear, or bring with you, LOOSE, BREATHABLE, COMFORTABLE & DARK COLOURED clothes to wear after your spray tan has been applied. Try to avoid clothes with straps, or anything tight around the bust, waist or thighs. An oversized t-shirt is perfect. LOOSE IS BEST.
- It can also be a good idea to bring a towel with you, so you can put it on your seat for the drive home.
What to expect at your appointment
- Janelle will greet you and take you through to the tanning area. You will be left alone to undress and get comfortable.
- Janelle will return and apply a small amount of tanning barrier to your elbows, knees, ankles and palms. Your spray tan will then be applied, which takes less than 10 minutes.
- You will then be given time to dry yourself with a hand held air dryer. Janelle will leave you alone at this time so you can take a moment to examine your tan in the mirror.
- If any touch ups are needed, Janelle can do this there and then. Please don't be afraid to point out any areas you are concerned about.
After your spray tan has been applied
- AVOID WATER AND TRY NOT TO SWEAT while your tan is developing. The housework or a session at the gym will have to wait while your tan is developing.
- Leave you tan on for the time advised (Janelle will let you know what time to wash off, to achieve your desired depth of tan).
- In the shower, simply have a quick rinse (1 minute) using LUKE WARM WATER ONLY. Please don't use any soaps or liquid body wash. Also avoid shaving cream and shampoo/conditioner ( this can cause 'streaks' in your tan, not a good look). Simply use your hands to wash/massage the bronzer from your body. You will see the bronzer wash off. A simple rinse under water, until the water runs clear, is all you need to do.
- When you step out of the shower, simply pat yourself dry with a towel. Avoid rubbing the skin.
- After your shower you will notice that you don’t look as tanned as you did. You may have the beginning of a very light tan. Don’t worry…because your tan will now continue to deepen over the next 8 - 24 hours. You will get darker.
- If you notice any 'streaking' in the tan on your body after your first shower, then the solution may have not all washed off, and you may need to hop back into the shower and rinse again. Please know that using soap, body wash or shaving cream in your first shower can cause streaking to happen, so please avoid using any of these during your first rinse, and use only water, using your hands to massage off the solution/bronzer.
- It is fine to start moisturising, put on deodorant and also to wear makeup, after your first shower.
Tips for maintaining your spray tan
- MOISTURISE, MOISTURISE, MOISTURISE. Applying moisturiser daily will prolong the life of your tan, and help it fade evenly (rather than going patchy). It will also help when its time to scrub it off.
- Gradual tanning moisturisers can be really good for extending the life of your tan. Start applying a gradual tanning moisturiser around day 3 into your spray tan.
- To help darken your tan even more (once it has developed), you can use an instant tan mousse before heading out. Simply rub over the top of your spray tan. The instant tan will come off when you next shower.
- Avoid long, hot showers, and swimming in pools or spas. Sweating and chlorine will also speed up the life of your tan
- Your tan will last anywhere from 7 to 10 days. Eventually your tan will begin to fade and break up on your skin, and may look a little patchy. This is when you should pull out your tan removal mitt and in a steamy shower or bath, scrub off your tan. You can also purchase tan remover foams, which can make getting the old tan off much easier xxx